Search engine optimization (SEO) is a digital marketing technique and it is a process to increase the ranking of websites or a web page in search engine result.
According to Wikipedia
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a web search engine's unpaid results—often referred to as "natural", "organic", or "earned" results.
SEO is most important part of digital marketing strategy because it brings tons of relevant traffic (Organic) on most of the websites. Here organic traffic means unpaid traffic from search engines such as google.com, bing.com, and yahho.com.
Organic or natural traffic is the traffic which any website gets from a search engine. This is basically unpaid traffic which a website gets because of its visibility in search engine ranking on certain keywords.
Inorganic or paid traffic is traffic which a website gets from running a PPC (Pay Per Click) ads of the search engine.
Advantages of SEO
- SEO generate most relevant traffic for a website which is most likely to convert.
- No programming skill needed for SEO optimization.
- It is DIY (Do it yourself) method and anyone can learn & implement SEO optimization.
- One time SEO optimization may provide benifits for several years.
Disadvantages of SEO
- SEO is a slow process, your website will not get top ranking overnight of competitive keywords. Sometimes it may take more than 6 months.
- Ranking of the website is not fixed, which means a ranking of your website can vary if your competitor works hard.
- Ranking depends on search engine algorithmic changes.
- Regular SEO work is needed to maintain website ranking.
- White Hat SEO
- Black Hat SEO